Friday, October 07, 2005

Shirley Horn

"But Beautiful: The Best of Shirley Horn on Verve" to be released on October 11th.

As much as I love the music it is often the lyrics that touch my soul. In the case of Shirley Horn this song resonates:


Here’s To Life

No complaints and no regrets.
I still believe in chasing dreams and placing bets.
But I have learned that all you give is all you get so you give it all you got.
I had my share. I drank my fill, and even though I’m satisfied I’m hungry still to see what’s down another road, beyond a hill, and do it all again.
So here’s to life and all the joy it brings.
Here’s to life the dreamers and their dreams.
Funny how the time just flies.
How love can turn from warm hellos to sad goodbyes and leave you with the memories you’ve memorized to keep your winters warm.
There’s no yes in yesterday.
And who knows what tomorrow brings or takes away.
As long as I’m still in the game I want to play for laughs, for life, for love.
So here’s to life and all the joy it brings.
Here’s to life.
The dreamers and their dreams.
May all your storms be weathered.
And all that’s good get better.
Here’s to life.
Here’s to love.
And here’s to you.


Two weeks into recovering from a broken heart and I'm sad for sure but "hungry still to see what’s down another road, beyond a hill and do it all again."

No comments: