Saturday, October 01, 2005

Fresh Yogurt

Ever since I read "French Women Don't Get Fat" by Mireille Guiliano I have been making fresh yogurt weekly to add to my breakfast soy protein shake. Menopause paces back and forth in front of my door. At 53 I thought I would be well into transition. Nope! To have to worry as much about pregnancy now as I did at 23 is a real bummer.

But, Mireille was right - there is nothing like the taste of fresh yogurt. Its acidic bite and texture is far superior to commercial products. I make mine in a 1 quart Salton maker using the last half cup from the previous batch as a starter. After her book came out last winter, you couldn't find a yogurt maker anywhere. I finally was able to find one via the internet in June. Now it looks like supply has finally caught up with demand.

No comments: