Saturday, October 08, 2005

Power Outage



I was up at 3:00AM this morning reading and listening to the rain and wind. I am a voracious reader; continually checking out the selections at the Library, Borders and Amazon. Yesterday I picked up “Private Demon” by Lynn Viehl and had read a good deal of it last evening while on the stationary bike listening to the Yankee’s game (they lost to the Angels - Yes!!!). Waking up at 2:30 - 3:00 AM seems to have become a habit. I wake, go through the house turning off anything run by electricity and left on by my sons (who could sleep though WMD easily). Then I go back to bed and read for an hour or so. This morning I wanted to finish Lynn’s book. It is the second in the Darkyn series and was very good. I have followed Lynn ‘s books and web blogs over the past few years. Her female characters are kick-ass smart and call it as they see it. I like that!

I finished the book and turned out the light at 3:45 AM, hoping for another couple hours of sleep. Within a minute the power went out and the house was silent. I got up and called the power company. Then I tried to get back to sleep. My attempt was fitful; tossing and turning, listening to the rain on my windows for about three hours until the power came back on. Power outages leave me edgy . I can’t begin to imagine what it must be like to live through the devastation left by the recent hurricanes. Each day I take for granted the ability to do all those little chores: laundry, dishes, cooking, making coffee, writing blogs. So today I am reminded to be thankful for the small stuff.

No comments: