Sunday, October 02, 2005

Morning Coffee

I love coffee.

I love how it smells.

I love how it tastes.

There is nothing like a good cup of coffee to start the day. I love my French Press coffee maker by Bodum. The current press is a model called Brazil made of impact resistant plastic (replacing two glass pots that I have broken so far!) that I found on the net. It was on sale and, even with shipping, the cost was less than purchasing it here.

I like trying out different varieties of beans and try to locate Fair Trade coffees. My current is not. But, it is a really nice Brazillian Arabica that produces a smooth cup of coffee. I've heard that a couple cups a day is beneficial too:

Coffee is Healthier Than You Think

Sydney Morning Herald (subscription), Australia - Sep 25, 2005

"Coffee probably contributes many more healthy antioxidants to your diet than fruit and vegetables, according to US scientists.

They measured the antioxidant content of more than 100 different foods including vegetables, fruits, nuts, spices, oils and beverages.

The findings were then combined with data from the US Department of Agriculture on each item's contribution to the average American's diet.

Coffee was the biggest source of antioxidants per serving and level of consumption.

It was followed by black tea, bananas, dry beans and corn.

"Americans get more of their antioxidants from coffee than any other dietary source - nothing else comes close," said the head researcher Joe Vinson, of Scranton University in Pennsylvania.

Both caffeinated and decaffeinated coffee appeared to provide similar antioxidant levels."


No comments: