Thursday, September 29, 2005

Jalapeno Peppers


With a frost forecast for Saturday morning, it is time to harvest the remaining jalapeno peppers. I have tried to grow a number of different vegetables in small containers each summer. I even tried zucchini this past summer ( a Lebanese variety called “Magda” for a boyfriend who is no more ) without success. But jalapeno peppers flourished in my pots and have given me dozens of peppers. The key to my success was picking plants that looked like they were started in December so that when I transplanted them they were already in flower.

What to do with all those peppers? Other than fresh salsa, I have two favorite recipes:

“Pickled Peppers" from" William Sonoma’s Mexican Favorites" cookbook and “Frico Nachitos” from Kate Heyhoe’s “Macho Nachos” cookbook.

These last of the season are going to be frozen and used to warm some winter meals.

No comments: