Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Calling Cards

I keep a small calling card case in my purse. From Levenger, it contains my business cards and several different designs of personal calling cards. I have a design that is specific for “accidents” and another for friends who want information about my web blog and my Flickr site. The artwork distinguishes each type of card. My very enhanced lips, for my Flickr icon and associated calling card, came from experimenting with my Corel PaintShopPro program.


Calling cards became popular during the Victorian era with a well defined social etiquette for paying calls and leaving cards.

" Although the calling card usually supplied only the name of the caller, the following messages could be left to a person by using a system of folds:

Calling Cards System of Folds

If the top left corner was bent or torn, it was a social call.

If the top right corner was bent, it was a visit of congratulations, perhaps for a recent engagement, wedding, birth, or other good news.

If the bottom left corner was bent, it was a visit to say goodbye, as if the visitor were getting ready to go on a trip.

If the bottom right corner was bent, it was a visit of condolence, usually for a death in the family."



No comments: